Office 365 Expert - I am not. I have a customer that...

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 06:02:50 UTC 2015

Dave Pooser <dave-nanog at pooserville.com> wrote:
> then they are currently gaining from customers who would *not* move away
> from on-prem if they understood all the costs including increased
> bandwidth?

The extra bandwidth needed to utilize most SaaS-based applications is
not significant. I would say the larger problems in some cases would
be the increase in end-to-end latency.

SaaS apps seem most sensible where rapid deployment is desired,  where
the number of users and amount of data are low.

In other cases, there are concerns about the additional vendor
lock-in, loss of strong control of the data.   Cannot assure that it
is encrypted and secure against access by social engineering attacks
against SaaS provider.  Vendors can increase monthly rates later,
after it becomes much harder to switch to an on-prem option.     The
list of security hazards expands.       Cannot mitigate application
downtime caused by problems with vendor infrastructure  or  failure of
vendor  to backup data like they promised.

On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 9:07 AM, Bob Evans <bob at fiberinternetcenter.com> wrote:

> In the meantime, I can tell you sitting here in silicon valley that all
> these sharp VCs don't see the hole in many of these basic business plans
> called "Cloud, Rack of servers in multiple locations".

Well, I cannot fault those folks for trying, or VCs from dabbling in
Buzzword-Driven financing and risky ventures. Even if there actually
are gaping holes in respective plans that they are accepting:  they
are playing a high-rewards game,  and likely have their odds all
calculated.

2 or 3% of those 'cloud,rack of servers' people may very well manage
to pull off some tricky in-flight maneuvers to escape whichever
perceived hole, or come to realize the "fix" after starting with
otherwise inherently flawwed plans.. just having a flawwed enough plan
was still good enough in theory to show a starting point.

Any plan will essentially have holes of varying sizes,  with varying
amounts of camouflage.

But the results of following a plan with holes are not necessarily
disastrous...  so long as what is actually done is adapted later  in
place of the original plan as required, in order to accommodate
realities.

--
-JH