Google's Safe Browsing Alerts for Network Administrators

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Mon Jan 12 18:38:20 UTC 2015

Thanks for that feedback on Google’s Safe Browsing Alerts.  We’ll have to see how that works out for us over time.

In regards to ShadowServer, I don’t think they’re randomly scanning networks, and neither are folks like OpenResolver – I think it’s pretty systematic, albeit from perhaps only a certain point of view on the Internet.  If their scans are being dropped and logged, that’s great – that means someone has measures in place to mitigate attacks that leverage those UDP protocols.   But for those who use their output to better secure their own and clients’ endpoint devices, it’s much appreciated.  If it’s really just a drop in the ocean, what does it matter to you?

Frank