DDOS solution recommendation

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Mon Jan 12 00:56:30 UTC 2015

On 01/11/2015 03:22 PM, Mike Hammett wrote:
> I know that UDP can be spoofed, but it's not likely that the SSH,
> mail, etc. login attempts, web page hits, etc. would be spoofed as
> they'd have to know the response to be of any good.

I encourage you to investigate "Triangular Spamming".
(http://www.cs.ucr.edu/~zhiyunq/pub/oakland10_triangular_spamming.pdf)
The "Triangular..." technique does specifically that, allow the attacker
to "...know the responses...".

In short, the bot receives the reply to the spoofed source IP and
forwards information on to the attacker so that it can continue the
conversation.  In effect, three parties are having a one way
conversation in a ring.

> There's more going on than UDP spoofing\amplification. Frankly the
> most damaging thing to me has been SMTP hijacking. For you to login
> to my SMTP server and send e-mail out, there's going to be one hell
> of a conversation going on.

Yes, there is what appears to you to be be a conversation going on.
However, the source of what you are hearing is not where you think it's
from.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die