whois server features

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Thu Jan 8 01:38:56 UTC 2015

Hi,

> Scripting languages have modules that can parse many registrar whois
> formats. However, most are incomplete due to the plurality of output
> formats as stated above. I, and i suspect many others, wouls *love* to see
> a more concrete key value format drafted and enforced by ICANN.

ICANN can only 'enforce' stuff on the contracted parties, namely the gTLDs.  And, in fact, they do so in contractual agreements (if you want the gory details, see Specification 4 of http://newgtlds.icann.org/sites/default/files/agreements/agreement-approved-09jan14-en.htm for registries and https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/approved-with-specs-2013-09-17-en#whois for registrars).

ICANN can't 'enforce' anything on the ccTLDs or RIRs.

Regards,
-drc