whois server features

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Wed Jan 7 20:07:04 UTC 2015

>> So, you’re not running into a poorly-documented mystery, you’ve run afoul of one of the rotten armpits of the shub-Internet.
>>
> So there's no consensus between NICs for the information they should
> have in whois and what search mechanisms they should provide? I guess
> what you're saying is that whois is just a protocol definition and
> nothing else?

Correct.  It gets you a blob of text.  Sometimes, a blob is just a blob.  Other times, it contains what _appear_ to be key-value pairs, but are instead loosely-formatted text.  Other times, it contains textually-represented key-value pairs that are programmatically generated from an actual database, and can thus be re-imported into another database.  Depends what’s on the back end.

                                -Bill