MPLS VPN design - RR in forwarding path?

Rob Shakir rjs at rob.sh
Fri Jan 2 13:29:07 UTC 2015

> On 2 Jan 2015, at 01:54, Jeff Tantsura <jeff.tantsura at ericsson.com> wrote:
>
> You don't need LDP on RR as long as clients support "not on lsp" flag (different implementation have different names for it)
> There are more and more reasons to run RR on a non router HW, there are many reasons to still run commercial code base, mostly feature set and resilience.

And test coverage. As Saku alluded to earlier in the thread, rr<->rr-client outages are painful. I’ve certainly seen a number of them caused by inter-op issues between implementations. Running at least one RR which matches the code-base of the client means that at least you’re likely to have fallen within the test-cases of that vendor’s implementation.

r.