symmetric vs. asymmetric [was: Verizon Policy Statement on Net Neutrality]

Mike Hammett nanog at ics-il.net
Sat Feb 28 18:04:27 UTC 2015

You can call it, but the line has been disconnected.

I know tons of people with those devices. What do they do with them? Netflix, Amazon, Youtube, etc. Less than 10% of even techies I know have in-home media... and they've already run copper or fiber everywhere anyway.

In-home media is likely shrinking due to the market making it so convenient to do it online vs. having to rip or Torrent everything you could possibly ever want, store it and manage the interface to get it. Look at percentage of traffic that was Torrent 10 years ago and percentage of traffic today that is NetFlix.

Do people do it? Yes. Do new people do it every day? Yes. Do normal people do it? No. Is it growing? No. Is it a large percentage of people? No. Even if it were a ton of people, would it be some flagrant violation of what I proposed? In no way whatsoever.

I referred to dynamic channel sizes. 5, 10, 20, 30, 40 MHz would be more than sufficient.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions
http://www.ics-il.com