Verizon Policy Statement on Net Neutrality

Jack Bates jbates at paradoxnetworks.net
Fri Feb 27 23:25:41 UTC 2015

On 2/27/2015 5:09 PM, Måns Nilsson wrote:
> What people want, at least once thay have tasted it, is optical last
> mile. And not that PON shit. The real stuff or bust.

Yeah. Then they complain when a tornado wipes out their power and they
can't make a phone call.

It's a real world. Things are not always what we want. I'm sorry, but
while I could afford the tens of thousands of dollars to run power one
mile to my house, I will not be seeing fiber anytime soon. As much as I
hate it, looks like wireless point to point for awhile. :(

Thinking of HAM radio to perhaps get help if things get really bad.

>> Let's be honest, it would be nice to utilize wasted download
>> frequency to send something quicker.
> Any access technology with less than 1Gbit symmetrical bandwidth is
> 20th century. Doing greenfield with that is plainly stupid. There
> is business to be made from smaller upgrades to copper that is in place,
> but as soon as you dig (or set new poles in the ground), fiber is the
> only real alternative.

It's hard to get DSL in some places in the country. Fiber? ha!

Jack