Verizon Policy Statement on Net Neutrality

Måns Nilsson mansaxel at besserwisser.org
Fri Feb 27 23:09:44 UTC 2015

Subject: Re: Verizon Policy Statement on Net Neutrality Date: Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 01:49:04PM -0600 Quoting Jack Bates (jbates at paradoxnetworks.net):

<snip>

>  Ideally, I suspect that most people would prefer a more
> variable approach, allowing for the complete frequency spectrum for
> upload and download and any combination in between.

What people want, at least once thay have tasted it, is optical last
mile. And not that PON shit. The real stuff or bust.

> Let's be honest, it would be nice to utilize wasted download
> frequency to send something quicker.

Any access technology with less than 1Gbit symmetrical bandwidth is
20th century. Doing greenfield with that is plainly stupid. There
is business to be made from smaller upgrades to copper that is in place,
but as soon as you dig (or set new poles in the ground), fiber is the
only real alternative.
--
Måns Nilsson     primary/secondary/besserwisser/machina
MN-1334-RIPE                             +46 705 989668