Verizon Policy Statement on Net Neutrality

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Feb 27 21:58:05 UTC 2015

> On Feb 27, 2015, at 08:04 , Miles Fidelman <mfidelman at meetinghouse.net> wrote:
>
> I'd think they'd be better off with some jujitsu, along the lines of:
>
> "We've always practiced network neutrality, not like some of our competitors, this won't effect us at all and may enforce some good business practices on others”

I think they’d be pretty hard pressed to say this with a straight face. Even if they could, anyone who is paying attention would know better.

> (As far as I can tell, Verizon has not played games with favoring their own content - for all intents and purposes, they operate FIOS as a common carrier - no funny throttling, no usage caps, etc.)

Verizon has been every bit as much involved in the let’s tax the big content providers for all we can games as any of the other eyeball providers.

> I'm surprised they weren't a bit more vocal on the OTHER FCC decision of the day - preempting some state restrictions on municipal broadband builds - Verizon has been very active in pushing state laws to kill muni networks (even in places where they have no intention of building out).

They prefer to do this in ways the public is less likely to notice what they are doing. The last thing they want is a big public backlash against their backroom dealings with lawmakers on this matter. The fact that the president called them out on it publicly is pretty much game over for that tactic anyway.

Owen