Verizon Policy Statement on Net Neutrality

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Feb 27 20:59:59 UTC 2015

On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 3:20 PM, Mel Beckman <mel at beckman.org> wrote:
> I did not change "whenever I demand it" to "all the time". You're
> hand-waving now. I clearly said that users can't all demand their maximum
> bandwidth at the same time. That's nothing like "all the time."

Fine. You changed "whenever I demand it" to "at the same time as
everybody else." The change still makes it a straw man argument. You
introduce simultaneity, which you don't substantiate and which is not
present in my statement. That red herring undermines your argument
that doing, "everything reasonably within your power to make sure I
can access the Internet sites of my choice" at full rate is
"infeasible."

> Your shower example is perfect. Yes, you can get 120A tankless water heating
> for a brief interval. But not "whenever you demand it."

I get it _every_ time I demand it because the local power company has
done a good job with their oversubscription planning. Even with other
households engaged in bathing activity during the morning hours..

> You never responded to my "BillsNet" real-world example. Is that a straw-man
> argument too?

That would be why I ignored it, yes. Would it make you happy if I pick
it apart piece by piece or do you want to move on?

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us