Verizon Policy Statement on Net Neutrality

Scott Helms khelms at zcorum.com
Fri Feb 27 20:01:59 UTC 2015

Bill,

The problem is in defining what is "normal" and "reasonable" when customers
only know what those mean in regards to their behavior and not the larger
customer base nor the behavior of the global network.  I work with hundreds
of access providers in North America, the Caribbean, and Europe so I've
pretty much all of the current approaches to this and none of them work
very well IMO.

I have a customer on the west coast that has a very large Asian immigrant
population and a very high percentage of the traffic from this access
provider is going to and from Asia.  This introduces a lot of variables
that are far outside of the operator's control, so what's reasonable for
this operator to do to ensure "reasonable" speeds when the links to Asia
get saturated far upstream of them?  They certainly could choose to buy
alternative connectivity to that region, but then they'd have to raise
rates and most of the time that extra connectivity isn't needed.  BTW, the
operator in this example has plenty capacity inside their DOCSIS and FTTH
plant as well as plenty of capacity to two Tier 1 carriers.

Scott Helms
Vice President of Technology
ZCorum
(678) 507-5000