Verizon Policy Statement on Net Neutrality

Mel Beckman mel at beckman.org
Fri Feb 27 18:34:57 UTC 2015

Bill,

This is not feasible. ISPs work by oversubscription, so it's never possible for all (or even 10% of all) customers to simultaneously demand their full bandwidth. If ISPs had to reserve the full bandwidth sold to each customer in order to "do everything reasonably within your power to make sure I can access the Internet sites of my choice at X megabits per second", then broadband connections would cost thousands of dollars per month.

Anyone who doesn't understand this fundamental fact of Internet distribution will be unable to engage in reasonable discussion about ISP practices.

On Feb 27, 2015, at 9:56 AM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us<mailto:bill at herrin.us>>