Verizon Policy Statement on Net Neutrality

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Feb 27 17:56:29 UTC 2015

On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 12:03 PM, Bruce H McIntosh <bhm at ufl.edu> wrote:
> The REAL evil in the ISP marketplace is, of course, essentially entirely
> unremarked-upon - ASYMMETRY.

Hi Bruce,

We part ways there. I see nothing inherently wrong with asymmetric
connections. I see nothing inherently wrong with whitelist-based
services either: we'll sell you web access service, not general
Internet service. I see nothing inherently wrong will selling
measured-rate service: Gigabit port speed, $X/gigabyte prime time,
free off prime. The idea that any particular Internet-related product
must fit one specific mold like symmetry is abhorrent to me.

BUT

Deceit is Bad Behavior. If you sell me an X megabit per second
Internet access service, you should do everything reasonably within
your power to make sure I can access the Internet sites of my choice
at X megabits per second.

Monopoly abuse is Bad Behavior. Be it cross-subsidy (make competitive
overbuilding impossible by covering infrastructure cost with funds
from other high-margin products) product tying (that fiber optic
channel is bundled with our version of Internet service alone) or
double-billing (You, Mr. Disfavored Organization must pay for access
to a customer base which has already paid us for access to you).

These are the real evils in the ISP marketplace.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us