Verizon Policy Statement on Net Neutrality

Naslund, Steve SNaslund at medline.com
Fri Feb 27 17:32:28 UTC 2015

Actually most users would perceive a download increase as a speed upgrade because they are not hitting the performance limits of the upstream.  In the DSL world, there is a maximum reliable speed attainable due to the physics involved in high speed transmission over copper.  More speed in one direction will definitely cause a corresponding decrease in the other direction, this is not a "maybe" this is a fact.  If a DSL circuit is capable of 10 mbps total bandwidth you can slice the direction any way you want as long as it totals 10 mbps.  Users want more download in general.

>I'm all for this, except many technologies don't allow for it. Even if they did, you might see a lot less down in exchange for that upload.
>That may be fine for some, but would be undesired by others.

>I laugh every time I see a billboard locally that says, "Enjoy your free speed upgrade". They switched all their customers from ADSL to ADSL2 and gave them a slight download increase. Of course, ADSL2 has a slower upload limit. 500k >may not seem a lot, but when you only had 1.5m to begin with, it's a considerable amount.

Steven Naslund
Chicago IL