OT - Small DNS "appliances" for remote offices.

David Reader david.reader at zeninternet.co.uk
Thu Feb 19 14:52:42 UTC 2015

On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 15:26:36 +0200
Denys Fedoryshchenko <denys at visp.net.lb> wrote:

> As far as i know, Raspberry PI ethernet over USB might be fine for DNS
> too, but before it had issues with
> large data transfers (ethernet driver hangs). No idea about now.

On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 15:26:36 +0200
Denys Fedoryshchenko <denys at visp.net.lb> wrote:

> As far as i know, Raspberry PI ethernet over USB might be fine for DNS
> too, but before it had issues with
> large data transfers (ethernet driver hangs). No idea about now.

AIUI the problem with the RPi isn't so much that the Ethernet NIC sits on a USB interface, it's that the RPi USB interface is very basic and requires a great deal of host interaction to work. It presents a very high interrupt load, and that can lead to problems.

Remember that the RPi, fantastic as it is, was developed as a low cost educational aid. It can be used with great success in other fields, but you should consider its limitations.

I'm using several to connect sensors, actuators, and such to a private network, which it's great for - but I'd think at least twice before deploying one as a public-serving host in user-experience-critical role in a remote location.

d.