OT - Small DNS "appliances" for remote offices.

Bryan Seitz seitz at bsd-unix.net
Thu Feb 19 03:51:55 UTC 2015

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 08:23:37PM -0500, Rob Seastrom wrote:

> "Robert Webb" <rwebb at ropeguru.com> writes:
>
> > What I do not like about the Pi is the network port is on the USB
> > bus and thus limited to USB speeds.??
>
> Pretty much all of the ARM boards have their ethernet ports on HSIC
> channels (480mbit/sec, no-transceiver-phy USB for on-board use -
> maximum length is 10cm).

Agreed the long pole at a small site for DNS won't be the USB bus.  Might I recommend the following:

odroid-c1 + eMMC module + RTC battery + case + power adapter.  Should run you about $75 *AND*
wouldn't be bad for running NTP as well.

The gig-e port on the C1 has been observed to push 405Mbps TX and 940Mbps+ RX via iperf.

--

Bryan G. Seitz