Intellectual Property in Network Design

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Thu Feb 12 12:53:41 UTC 2015

On 12/Feb/15 14:36, Skeeve Stevens wrote:

> What I am really looking for is some working, experience, precedence that
> backs up the view that IP on network design is actually not possible...
> which is my gut feeling.

I've designed some pretty unique and profitable features using tech.
(not necessarily open standards, but available to anyone who buys the
hardware) because I was able to interpret the feature better than the
competition, and make it do things it wasn't originally intended for.

Now, when I leave that company and repeat the same at new company (out
of sheer fun, perhaps), can the previous company claim IP, or would I be
the one to claim IP since I was the one who thought up the idea in the
first place?

Configurations between operators are all the same. How you put them
together is what can set you apart in your market. I suppose your
question is whether "how you put them together that sets up apart from
the competition" is worth the IP debate.

Mark.