FTTx Active-Ethernet Hardware

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Thu Feb 12 09:45:56 UTC 2015

On 11/Feb/15 14:49, Tarko Tikan wrote:
> It is being replaced by ASR-920-24SZ-M - 24GE Fiber and 4-10GE:
> Modular PSU. I don't think this ASR920 has been announced yet :)

Well, it's on the web site, and our AM team gave us a price a few weeks ago.

I'm just surprised why they'd do this, considering you need tons of
ports in an FTTH setup, and the ASR920 is short on those.

I've asked the BU to work on a 48-port switch re: the ASR920, as I think
that would go well with the 4x 10Gbps uplink ports and make for a good
upgrade path for the ME3600X/3800X.

Cisco's thinking of getting 4x 10Gbps ports on the ASR920 (compared to
2x on the ME3600X/3800X) is if operators have customers that want to
take 10Gbps ports, they can use the additional 10Gbps ports. Not sure
how good an idea that is, as for me, I'd not be willing to tell
customers we can do 10Gbps at a PoP with this device since I can only
sell to one customer; two at the most if I'm being really pushy with the
unit. I'd need some scalability.

Mark.