Need recommendations for high-feature, high-density L3 Switch

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Tue Feb 10 06:12:21 UTC 2015

On 9/Feb/15 21:54, Cliff Bowles wrote:
> So... Is there something in the same class as the ASR9000s that also have a good reputation? Will need at least 48 ports of 10G, 24x1Gb, limited oversubscription, good feature sets, not astronomically priced. If we can't find the perfect fit, we will just look at two separate solutions.

If Cisco and Juniper are your friends, I'd certainly look into the MX
and ASR9000 platforms.  They are routers with decent Layer 2 features.
You want that, rather than taking a switch that has decent Layer 3 features.

On the MX and ASR9000, there is a line card for everyone. Just dig into
it and you'll find what you need. Bear in mind that some line cards are
available, but not yet advertised online, or are just about to go live.
So talking to the vendors helps.

Those with experience on other vendors can chime in.

Mark.