Metaswitch ax1000 as a RR

Phil Bedard bedard.phil at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 19:55:58 UTC 2015

I've been testing various vRR solutions recently but haven't taken a long
look at Metaswitch, but I may contact them.  On paper, their RR doesn't
support all the AFI/SAFI combinations I require.

There are a few commercial options which have come to market very recently
namely:

ALU VSR
Juniper vMX (vRR version)
Cisco XRv (IOS-XR)
Cisco CSR1000v (IOS-XE)

I can't give exact numbers, but all of them are much faster on pretty
basic newish Xeon hardware than a Cisco ASR9K/Juniper MX with the latest
and greatest RP, while using almost no CPU really.  They don't need much
RAM either, 8-16GB is more than enough.  XRv and the CSR1000v will run
under ESX fine, and are packaged/documented to deploy that way.  vMX/VSR
will but it's not really a supported/documented thing yet, they are
currently supported running under Qemu/KVM.

One issue with VSR/xRV under ESX right now is they have no "display"
drivers/output, so you have to use a virtual serial port which is only
supported with the Enterprise+ version of ESX for some inane reason.

XRv is 32-bit for now, the others are all 64-bit.

CSR1000v has definitey been around the longest.  XRv, vMX, and VSR all get
built the same time as the router software now so they get features when
the router software does.  You will find more features in them than the
CSR1000v and new service provider features will be in XR before XE.  For
instance Cisco has something called Optimized Route Reflection where a vRR
will simulate the IGP network rooted at each client and send the best BGP
paths specific to each client.  It means you can have a centralized RR
without running into the issue of it selecting paths based on its position
in the network vs. the client.  That's a beta XRv thing but I don't know
if you'll ever see it in XE.

All of them support pretty much every major AFI/SAFI.

Pricing wise the CSR1000v is going to easily be the cheapest option.

Phil