Low cost WDM gear

Mike Hammett nanog at ics-il.net
Sat Feb 7 18:31:28 UTC 2015

Well, I'm not an expert in the world of long haul optics, but I think I'd want active over passive for the ability to use standard interfaces on the equipment (routers, switches, etc.) at either end. Then again, maybe something has changed that I don't know about. I would also think active would be better able to go those 185 mile distances than passive. I assume I'd need an amplifier in the middle to even make it that far.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions
http://www.ics-il.com