Netflix stuffing data on pipe

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed Dec 30 13:34:27 UTC 2015

On Wed, 30 Dec 2015, Matt Hoppes wrote:

> I'm not buffering. Switches have packet buffers. I'm seeing switch
> buffers getting overrun by what appears to be Netflix traffic coming in
> at rates faster than the subscribers throttled speeds.

How big are your buffers (preferrably answer would be in milliseconds)?
What access speeds are you providing?

It's standard behavior for network traffic to sometimes be at higher
speeds than the customer access speeds, the sender only knows about
congestion if there is an increase in RTT or if there is packet loss (or
in case of ECN, EC=1 flag), and the only way to find out is to probe (=run
faster than customer access speed).

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se