Broadband Router Comparisons

Larry Sheldon larrysheldon at cox.net
Mon Dec 28 00:54:46 UTC 2015

On 12/26/2015 23:49, Mike wrote:
> On 12/23/2015 06:49 PM, Lorell Hathcock wrote:
>> All:
>>
>> Not all consumer grade customer premises equipment is created
>> equally.  But end customers sure think it is.  I have retirement aged
>> customers buying the crappiest routers and then blaming my cable
>> network for all their connection woes.  The real problem is that there
>> were plenty of problems on the cable network to deal with, so it was
>> impossible to tell between a problem that a customer was having with
>> their CPE versus a real problem in my network.

OK, I have resisted, but now I must ask.....

I am coming up on 77 YOA, been un-employed for a long time, have a tiny
toy network that supports a couple of lap-tops, a couple of desk-tops, a
couple of net-work-connected printers, and a melange of
visitor-transported "personal devices" NOS--the latter group, the two
lap-tops, one of the printers, and one of the desk-tops supported by 3
wiffy radios (one radio is a port of the "routher").

My network sees the the world via a cable-company provided MODEM (which
also supports the telephone service in the house) and a WRT54GL
"router", which I guess is what y'all are talking about (although it
looks to me more like a 6-port bridge that can do NAT).

I've had one "router" fail and replaced it.  I have myriad network
failures that go away if I wait long enough (I have called in a few
times, mostly to confirm that the cable has gone dark and they know it,
a couple to have them tell me to reboot everything I rebooted before I
called them.  In some of those incidents the "trouble came clear while
testing", the rest "came clear while waiting for the repair man to get
here".

Just what is it that I should be doing better?  And where is this better
equipment available?

[tl;dr;wrn]

--
sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (Juvenal)