de-peering for security sake

Mike Hale eyeronic.design at gmail.com
Sun Dec 27 21:08:05 UTC 2015

"please cite useful numbers"

For what?  IDS?  SIEM?  Log aggregation in general?  For companies
that have none of that, spinning up the best practice systems can
easily cost half a mil a year (QRadar is 200k for our sized
environment; a good netflow system is like 50 [100k+ for something
like Lancope], one FTE to support and manage this as and additional
workload on server and network guys in dealing with issues these tools
find).  And that's just the tip of the iceberg.  An additional 500k a
year is tough to justify (and costs way, way more than simply locking
the doors or hiring a team of security guards at 10 an hour).
Simplistic, of course, but one example of the cost difference.

"Sure it's a new expense (not really, since ... you've always had
security costs) but it's not 'massive'."

Depends on the organization.  For those who don't have a
security-specific team, it is new spend.

"ideally you need 2-3 people (for a larger operation, less for small
shops) with a bunch of automation to help things run along."

Absolutely agree.  So we're looking at 200-300k just in pure salary
cost, plus what, 40% extra for various benefits?

That automation piece too is incredibly pricey (either in time and
labor of software).

"though the parts aren't quite in place today :(
which is sad."

One hundred percent in agreement.  This is much, much harder for the
smaller organizations to take.  I wish there were services that made
this way easier.  I think this is where small system integrators could
partner with security services that provide tier one security response
(something like arctic wolf) and provide that needed coverage...but
that's not inexpensive either (though way cheaper than hiring your own
security dudes).

"the return is not having to fend off the WSJ reporters of the world,
and consequent lawsuits from your customers, subscribers, partners,
etc..."

True.  But how do you put that in money terms?

Obviously, I think the spend is absolutely important, and it's
something that is vitally important to the business.  But I've found
it very challenging in making that case in a way that works, precisely
because of that increased amount of spending.

"but that is changing as more and more get
pwned and the public and legal costs become greater and more apparent.
patience."

It is.  Sony and Target were really useful in that regard.