IPv4 shutdown in mobile

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sat Dec 26 18:56:15 UTC 2015

On 26/Dec/15 09:38, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

> I guess there are major differences across the continent as to what
> network gear is used, but I know some operators who shipped their 10
> year old 2G basestations to African providers, and if these are still
> in use, potentially even without a support contract, then these will
> never support IPv6 properly. Networks built like this will be laggards
> just the same way people running old routers won't have the right
> features to support IPv6 properly.

In eastern and southern Africa, there is a reasonable average 3G and
4G/LTE coverage.

One network in southern Africa have upgraded 70% of their network to 4G
as part of an enhancement exercise in the last 16x months, and provide
98% 3G coverage across their country of operation. But not a peep re: IPv6.

In general, in the progressive African countries, one would be
hard-pressed to get anything less than 3G coverage in major business
districts/cities.

Mark.