IPv4 shutdown in mobile

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sat Dec 26 07:14:42 UTC 2015

On 25/Dec/15 09:56, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

> I know of at least one mobile provider in Sweden, Finland and Germany
> that have IPv6 enabled for at least part of their device base.
>
> Some have chosen IPv4v6 (providing dual stack) which means they can do
> this with Apple devices today, some are IPv6 only which means they're
> like T-Mobile waiting for the Apple App universe to come around to
> being IPv6 only supporting.

This is encouraging to see.

None of the major mobile carriers in eastern, western, central and
southern Africa have done anything IPv6-related on their network that I
am aware about. The availability of IPv4 space in the AFRINIC region,
coupled with the ease of spending millions on CG-NAT's vs. rolling out
IPv6 means unless they start, someone's pants will be at their knees in
a non-picturesque way very soon.

The lack of interest, head-in-the-sand approach is quite alarming,
particularly as mobile networks are increasingly carrying the majority
of consumer data traffic in Africa, year-in, year-out.

Mark.