de-peering for security sake

Daniel Corbe dcorbe at hammerfiber.com
Fri Dec 25 16:25:30 UTC 2015

> On Dec 25, 2015, at 9:18 AM, Mike Hammett <nanog at ics-il.net> wrote:
>
> To the thread, not necessarily Daniel, if blocking countries\continents is a bad thing (not saying I disagree), how do you deal with the flood of trash? Just take it on the chin?

If you as an end user want to be the cyber-equivalent of a xenophobe because OMG BAD INTERNETS then be my guest.  On the other hand, I’m a network operator so I don’t have the luxury of dictating to my users what they can and cannot reach.

> The degree of splash damage by blocking this way will vary based upon what kind of network you are. Residential eyeballs? You could probably block most of a lot of things and people wouldn't notice or care, as long as it wasn't Google, Facebook, Netflix, etc.

As a residential ISP with many first and second generation American immigrants in my service footprint I can assure you this notion is patently false.  People will definitely notice and care if they can’t communicate with their relatives and consume content in their home countries.