de-peering for security sake

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Dec 25 00:48:59 UTC 2015

On Thu, 24 Dec 2015 23:44:10 +0000, Colin Johnston said:
> We really need to ask if China and Russia for that matter will not take abuse
> reports seriously why allow them to network to the internet ?

Well, first off, it isn't like China or Russia are just one ASN.  You'd have
to de-peer a bunch of ASN's - and also eliminate any paid transit connections.

Note that even North Korea has managed to land at least a small presence on
the Internet.  Are you going to ban them too?

While we're banning countries, how about the country that's known for
widespread surveillance both foreign and domestic, has one of the strongest
cyber warfare arsenals around, and has been caught multiple times diverting and
backdooring routers sold to foreign countries?

Oh wait, that's the US. Maybe we better rethink this?

Obviously, there's a lot of organizations that think that being able to
communicate with China and Russia outweighs the security issues.  You are
of course welcome to make a list of all Russian and Chinese ASNs and block
their prefixes at your border.