Broadband Router Comparisons

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Thu Dec 24 19:01:45 UTC 2015

+1.

Here's one managed option that non-Calix customers, such as WISPs, have found interesting: https://www.calix.com/systems/gigafamily-overview/GigaCenters.html

Frank

-----Original Message-----
From: NANOG [mailto:nanog-bounces at nanog.org] On Behalf Of Justin Wilson
Sent: Thursday, December 24, 2015 9:40 AM
To: nanog at nanog.org
Subject: Re: Broadband Router Comparisons

The trend is a managed router service.  This way the ISP can control the customer experience a little better.  It also gives the ISP a DMARC point to test from, which is not as reliant on getting the customer involved.

Mikrotik makes the hAP lite, which has a retail of $21.95.  http://www.balticnetworks.com/mikrotik-hap-lite-tc-2-4ghz-indoor-access-point-tower-case-built-in-1-5dbi-antenna.html <http://www.balticnetworks.com/mikrotik-hap-lite-tc-2-4ghz-indoor-access-point-tower-case-built-in-1-5dbi-antenna.html>  .  This is *nix based router you can cheaply deploy even if a customer doesn’t want a managed router.  I have clients who deploy this as a “modem” if the customer chooses their own router.  By doing this the ISP can run pings, traceroutes, see usage, and other useful tools from the customer side.

Once you figure on your average support call on troubleshooting a customer router $21.95 is a drop in the bucket. Having a place to test from the customer side is invaluable.  Tons of tricks you can do too.  Turn on the wireless and have the customer connect to it.  Block out all traffic except what the customer is using for tests (i.e. wireless) so you can see if there are devices hogging the pipe.   You can do frequency scans to see how bad 2.4 is.    You can get a dual band hAP router with AC.  It is more expensive so deploying one of those at every customer might not be feasible.

Justin Wilson
j2sw at mtin.net

---
http://www.mtin.net Owner/CEO
xISP Solutions- Consulting – Data Centers - Bandwidth

http://www.midwest-ix.com  COO/Chairman