Nat

James R Cutler james.cutler at consultant.com
Tue Dec 22 18:04:13 UTC 2015

Comments inline

> On Dec 22, 2015, at 12:47 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

>>> I have more than 16 subnets in my house, so I can cite at least one
>>> house with need for more than 4 bits just in a hand-coded network.
>>>
>>> Considering the future possibilities for automated topological
>>> hierarchies using DHCP-PD with dynamic joining and pruning routers, I
>>> think 8 bits is simply not enough to allow for the kind of flexibility
>>> we’d like to give to developers, so 16 bits seems like a reasonable
>>> compromise.
>>
>> Thanks for summarizing why /48 for everybody is possible.  But I fear
>> that is not helping much against arguments based on "need". I believe it
>> is difficult to argue that anyone needs any IP address at all, given
>> that there are lots of people in the world who seem to survive just fine
>> without one…
>
> Arguments based on “need” don’t make any sense in an IPv6 context.
>
> Sure, we shouldn’t be so profligate in our distribution of the address pool
> that we run out well before the protocol’s useful life is exhausted, but I
> think I’ve shown that the current allocation policies, including /48 have
> adequate protection against that occurring.
>
> Being more restrictive just for the sake of being more restrictive doesn’t
> serve any purpose. It doesn’t help anyone. As such, I just don’t understand
> those arguments. If someone can show me a tangible benefit from a more
> restrictive policy, I’m open to considering it, but so far, none exists.

The best feature of being more restrictive is continuing employment of people and processes for restriction.

The worst feature of being more restrictive is paying for the extra people and processes.

If we standardize on /48 (or whatever) then we can put all that money and labor into solving the real business problems of the IPv6 Internet..

	Cutler