Nat

Jeff McAdams jeffm at iglou.com
Sat Dec 19 14:49:42 UTC 2015

Congratulations, Sander, on proving Matthew's point quite consicely.

Matthew pointed out reasons that people don't like this setup, and reasons
that they *AREN'T DEPLOYING IPV6*.  And you blow them off with, "but it's
not the best way."  Great, I think I probably even agree with you that
using the RAs is, in general better, but let me make this really clear.

It. Is. An. Obstacle. For. Some. People. To. Deploy. IPv6.

The IETF went for a lot of architectural purity (and ignored some real
world valid use cases that RA just won't work for at all), and wanted
something clean and well designed...and that's OK.  But it doesn't help us
solve the real-world problem of IPv4 depletion if that architectural
purity causes people not to deploy the solution.

Real world operators (some, at least) want default route/router assigned
via DHCP for real world operational reasons.  If the IETF and others
respond merely by saying that it's better to do IPv6 this other way, right
or wrong, *THE IETF* is the problem.

It's far past time to worry about architectural purity.  We need people
deploying IPv6 *NOW*, and it needs to be the job of the IETF, at this
point, to fix the problems that are causing people not to deploy.

--
Jeff