reliably detecting the presence of a bridge?

Andrew McConachie smutt at depht.com
Tue Dec 15 15:04:21 UTC 2015

Flip a bit in the Ethernet FCS as it egresses deviceA. If the frame
arrives with a correct checksum at deviceB, then there's a switch in the
middle. Most modern switches recalculate FCS at egress port.

If the frame never arrives, most likely there is a switch in between. If
the frame arrives with the broken FCS, there is no intermediate switch.

--Andrew