John McAfee: Massive DDoS attack on the internet was from smartphone botnet on popular app

Daniel Corbe dcorbe at hammerfiber.com
Sat Dec 12 13:50:29 UTC 2015

> On Dec 12, 2015, at 1:18 AM, Jay Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
>
> Is McAfee just talking to dry his teeth here? This isn't actually practical, is it? Carriers would notice, right?

Whether carriers might notice (or even care, because hey we can bill for data!) is debatable.  But...

> http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/john-mcafee-massive-ddos-attack-internet-was-smartphone-botnet-popular-app-1532993

"and the unsophisticated way the botnet could be implemented through a simple smartphone app, suggests hackers sympathetic to Islamic State (Isis) may be behind it."

"The majority of the domain servers are controlled by U.S. interests - three are controlled by the US government. Who has the largest axe to grind? Isis. Who has the most to gain? Isis. Isis certainly has the technical capability to write a popular app.”

He certainly is making some wild leaps of logic here.

This is the most substantive sentence in the article: "But I have no direct evidence.”