IPv6 Cogent vs Hurricane Electric

Matt Palmer mpalmer at hezmatt.org
Fri Dec 4 01:46:01 UTC 2015

On Thu, Dec 03, 2015 at 04:58:08PM -0800, Matthew Petach wrote:
> Or, if you feel that Cogent's stubborn insistence on partitioning the
> global v6 internet shouldn't be rewarded with money, pay someone *other*
> than cogent for IPv6 transit and also connect to HE.net; that way you
> still have access to cogent routes, but you also send a subtle economic
> nudge that says "hey cogent-- trying to get into the tier 1 club by
> partitioning the internet isn't a good path for long-term sucess".

Sadly, anyone you pay for transit to Cogent routes is going to be giving
Cogent their cut, so it's not a perfect signal to Cogent that we'd prefer to
have one IPv6ternet rather than two.  At the very least, configure the
routers to that any routes you learn via HE are preferenced, and announce
your routes as preferring HE, so that Cogent gets as little of the traffic
as possible.

- Matt