Production-scale NAT64

Brandon Ross bross at pobox.com
Thu Aug 27 15:57:25 UTC 2015

On Thu, 27 Aug 2015, Mark Tinka wrote:

> If your IPv4 is public, you should not "feel slow". Of course, if your
> IPv4 is private, then yes, some NAT44 may happen somewhere along the path.

I strongly advise you to not assume that just because an IPv4 address is
"public" (which I'm reading as RFC1918) means that it's not NATed.

I learned the hard way that Tmobile, for one, squats on other
organization's public IP space on their mobile network and NATs it to
address space they are actually assigned.  What you really mean is if your
IPv4 is not NATed, then it should not "feel slow", the type of address
isn't necessarily an indicator.

--
Brandon Ross                                      Yahoo & AIM:  BrandonNRoss
+1-404-635-6667                                                ICQ:  2269442