Production-scale NAT64

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Thu Aug 27 10:03:46 UTC 2015

On 27/Aug/15 08:34, Tore Anderson wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> There's not much difference between 464XLAT and MAP-*/DS-Lite/lw4o6 in
> this respect, the way I see it. In all cases you need four things:
>
> 0) Native IPv6.
> 1) A central component connected to the IPv4 internet and the IPv6.
>    access network (464XLAT: "PLAT", MAP-*: "BR", DS-Lite/lw4o6: "AFTR")
> 2) Signalling to client that #1 exists and can be used (464XLAT: DNS64,
>    others: DHCPv6 options).
> 3) A distributed component at the customer premise/nodes that acts on
>    #2 and connects an isolated IPv4 network to the IPv6 access network
>    (464XLAT: "CLAT", MAP-*: "CE", DS-Lite/lw4o6: "B4").
>
> The necessary "undo work" in all cases is to disable #2. At that point
> components #1 and #3 will become un-used and can be removed if you
> care. My guess is that you'll care about removing #1 because it
> probably uses power and space in your PoP, but that you won't care
> about #3 because that's just an unused software function residing in a
> customer device you might not even have management access to.
>
> I'll grant you that with NAT64/DNS64 *without* 464XLAT there is no #3
> to remove as part of your "undo work", but as I mentioned above I doubt
> you'll care about that particular distinction. Besides, since a CLAT is
> included by default in multiple client platforms, you can't really
> prevent your users from using 464XLAT if you're providing NAT64/DNS64
> to begin with, unless you're doing something really weird like
> disabling DNS64 for the "ipv4only.arpa." hostname specifically.

Agree that with 464XLAT, the situation is not that different.

The issue with 464XLAT for a service provider such as ourselves is that
the majority of our customer's CPE and terminal equipment does not have
464XLAT support. You are mostly seeing 464XLAT support in mobile phones,
and on specific mobile OS's (iOS does not support 464XLAT today, for
example - unless this has changed or is changing).

In that situation, our particular use-case could use more DNS64 for the
signaling than 464XLAT or equivalent.

You can't have it all - each network will have to choose the least of
the various evils that can apply to it.

Mark.