Drops in Core

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Mon Aug 17 15:47:28 UTC 2015

Terms get over-used & overloaded in many cases. So it is difficult to tell if this is just a miscommunication, but I think I disagree with this statement.

“Private Peering” in the strictest sense is still peering. You do not have “private peering” with your transit provider, even though the traffic goes over a dedicated link. As such, I do not see how a packet would go over multiple private peering - public or private - links except in a few corner cases such as the ones stated earlier in the thread.

Let’s consider a more general case. Assume a packet traverses several ASes:

      A -- B -- C -- D -- E

There should be no more than one peering relationship in that whole chain, if any. (Zero is a valid number as well.) If, for instance, B peers with C and C peers with D, then who is paying C to do “work”, i.e. to transport packets through fibers & routers inside C's network? It doesn’t even work if B peers with C and D peers with E. Why would C pay D or vice versa when they are not paid on the other side?

The reason peering works is because each peer is paid, either by their own user or a downstream. When traffic goes over a network without being paid at either source or destination, something is wrong. Or worse, when a network pays to send traffic without being paid to receive it, or the reverse, things are very broken.

Even the corner cases still have people paying in some sense. In Bill’s example, networks giving free transit to schools, there is value traded. The ISP providing the service is either expecting more revenue from the school or revenue from others because they transit the school. In the case of a transit provider providing free transit to eyeballs in order to balance ratios, the value is the inbound demand. In Job’s example, you are paying both providers. Even though one has a de-aggregate link, the other is still getting paid. Etc., etc.

If each case, if the expected value does not materialize, the ISP will stop providing the service.

In summary: While there are exceptions to many (all?) rules, we are discussing generalities. And in general, companies who perform work without being paid tend not to last very long.

--
TTFN,
patrick