Drops in Core

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Mon Aug 17 10:10:39 UTC 2015

On Aug 16, 2015, at 8:44 AM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 16, 2015 at 8:00 AM, Patrick W. Gilmore <patrick at ianai.net> wrote:

>>> It is unlikely packets pass through an IXP more then once.
>>
>> “Unlikely”? That’s putting it mildly.
>>
>> Unless someone is selling transit over an IX, I do not see how it
>> can happen. And I would characterize transit over IXes far more
>> pessimistically than “unlikely”.
>
> Hi Patrick,
>
> I'm told it happens relatively often in networks supporting a lot of
> schools. Being an unpaid pass-through for schools paying other ISPs
> functions as a loss-leader that attracts more schools as customers.

Lots of people have mentioned “but XXX happens” to me. And you are all correct. XXX happens.

My point was not “this never happens”. Just those other topologies are a tiny, tiny fraction of the packets flowing on the Internet.

Most packets flow from CDNs to broadband. And those packets flow mostly direct (on-net or PNI), or over a _single_ IXP. Corner cases exist, but they are just that - corner cases.

--
TTFN,
patrick