Drops in Core

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sat Aug 15 17:28:00 UTC 2015

On Sat, Aug 15, 2015 at 1:21 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> I would say that the probability of a packet drop at any particular peering
> point is less than the probability at one of the two edges.
>
> However, given that most packets are likely to traverse multiple peering
> points between the two edges, the probability of a packet drop along
> the way at one of the several peering points overall is roughly equal
> to the probability of a drop at one of the two edges.

Hi Owen,

Generally speaking there are zero or one settlement free peering
points in the active path between any two edges. Not always, but close
enough to it to discount the exceptions.

Speaking for my own experience, I almost never see loss on my Verizon
FiOS edge but see loss at the various Verizon borders with other
networks -all the time-.  They keep pitching me on upgrading to 75/75
but that isn't the upgrade I need.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us