Is it possible to roughly estimate network traffic distribution for given ASN?

Martin T m4rtntns at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 22:56:00 UTC 2015

Hi,

there are various tools out there which show the prefix distribution
among the peers/uplinks for given ASN. For example
https://radar.qrator.net/as3333/graph#96311 or
http://bgp.he.net/AS3333#_asinfo. As far as I know, those tools build
the graphs mainly based on data from route servers. Am I correct that
at best this data could give very rough estimation on ingress traffic
for ASN as those graphs indicate announced prefixes? I mean for
example if ASN 1 announces 1.1.0.0/16, 2.2.0.0/16 and 3.3.0.0/16 to
ASN 2, but only 1.1.0.0/16 to ASN 3, then one could assume that more
ingress data to ASN 1 goes over ASN 2. What about egress traffic? In
general, are there ways to roughly estimate network traffic
distribution for given ASN among its peers/uplinks? I would say it is
not possible.

thanks,
Martin