Experience on Wanguard for 'anti' DDOS solutions

alvin nanog nanogml at Mail.DDoS-Mitigator.net
Thu Aug 13 01:20:26 UTC 2015

hi ramy

On 08/12/15 at 05:28pm, Ramy Hashish wrote:

> Anybody here compared Wanguard's performance with the DDoS vendors in the
> market (Arbor, Radware, NSFocus, A10, RioRey, Staminus, F5 ......)?

wouldn't the above "comparison" be kinda funky comparing software solutions
with hardware appliances and/or cloud scubbers ??

comparisons between vendors should be between sw solutions,
or hw appliances vs other hw, or cloud vs other clouds

wanguard should be compared with other sw options or vendors using
sflow, netflow, jflow, etc etc
	http://www.andrisoft.com/software/wanguard
	http://bitbucket.org/tortoiselabs/ddosmon
	http://www.github.com/FastVPSEestiOu/fastnetmon
	http://nfdump.sourceforge.net
	http://nfsen.sourceforge.net

wanguard - software solution using sflow
	http://www.andrisoft.com/software/wanguard

arbor ---- hardware/software solutions -- "peakflow"
	http://www.arbornetworks.com/products/peakflow

radware -- hardware/software/cloud solutions -- "defenseflow"
	http://www.radware.com/products/attack-mitigation-service/
	http://www.radware.com/Products/DefenseFlow/

nsfocus -- hardware/cloud solutions
	http://www.nsfocus.com/products/

A10 ------ hardware solution
	http://www.a10network.com/products

riorey --- hardware solution
	http://www.riorey.com/riorey-ddos-products

staminus - hardware/cloud solutions
	http://www.staminus.net/shield

# and to add to the ddos confusion ..

akamai/prolexic --- hardware/cloud solution

f5 ---------------- hardware/cloud solutions
	http://www.f5.com/resources/white-papers/mitigating-ddos-attacks-with-f5-technology

fortinet ---------- custom ASIC hardware and cloud solution
	http://www.fortinet.com/products/fortiddos/ddos-mitigation-appliances.html

- simulated ddos attacks should include:
  ==
  == you are already getting hourly low level DDoS attacks from your script kiddies
  ==	try to defend against those mostly harmless attacks first
  ==
    #
    # some trivial benchmark DDoS attacks to generate -- internally only
    #	- never send DDoS packets outside of your bldg/gateway
    #
    # DDoS-Simulator.net == generate any DDoS packets per your desires
    #	- use nc, socat, *perf, nping or hping to generate most of these DDoS attacks
    #	- use dsniff/arpspoof to break everything
    #
    within your own network, send few packets per second attacks
    within your own network, send x,000 packets per second attacks
    within your own network, send xxx,000 packet per second attacks
	sustained sporadically over hours/days

    - arp-based attacks
    - udp-based attacks
	nping -v -d1 -c 10000 --data-length 1511 --rate 12345 --udp 127.0.0.1
	hping -c 10000 -d 1511 -i u 81 --rand-source -p 123 -S --udp -p 123 127.0.0.1

    - icmp-based attacks
	ping -c 10000 -s 1511 -i 0.00008  127.0.0.1
	nping -v -d1 -c 10000 --data-length 1511 --rate 12345 --icmp 127.0.0.1
	hping -c 1 -d 1501 --rand-source --file TeraByteFile.bin --icmp 127.0.0.1
	gazillionPingApps

    - tcp-based attacks --- ez to send malicious packets and to defend against
	# 10,000 random src add
	hping -c 10000 -d 1511 -i u 81 --rand-source -xxTCPflags 127.0.0.1
		# -S = set SYN flag
		# -F = set FIN flag
		# -A = set ACK flag

    - application layer tests --- http, ssh, mail and 65,532 other ports
	 hping -c 10000 -d 1511 -i u 81 --rand-source -p 22 -S 127.0.0.1
	 hping -c 10000 -d 1511 -i u 81 --rand-source -p 25 -S 127.0.0.1
	 hping -c 10000 -d 1511 -i u 81 --rand-source -p 80 -S 127.0.0.1
	 hping -c 10000 -d 1511 -i u 81 --rand-source -p 53 -S --udp 127.0.0.1

		- these attack the servers or client desktop/laptops

    - volumetric attacks -- almost everybody will fail this test
    - volumetric attacks are pointless, you'll always fail at some point
	ping -f
	iperf
	socat

    - send spam  .......................... mitigated separately ...
    - send virus and worms to the list  ... mitigated separately ...

- cloud solutions
    - if you have regulatory compliance requirements, your options
      are extemely limited to a few certified amd expensive clouds

    - what triggers the packets to go to the cloud for scrubbing

    - you do NOT want somebody "looking" at millions of packets to
      decide to send it off the cloud for scrubbing or not

    - you might NOT want to send everything to the cloud and
      incurr un-necessary expenses if you're NOT under xxxGbit/sec
      DDoS attacks

- ddos mitigation should be able to distinguish legit traffic
  from real ddos traffic
	- eg folks downloading or sending 4GB dvd or larger files
	- eg silly folks sending 4GB dvd via emails

  # simplified way to distinguish legit users from ddos attackers

	if web servers are running only "apache",
	all other packets to other ports are DDoS attacks

	if mail servers are running only "sendmail",
	all other packets to other ports are DDoS attacks

	if ldap servers are running only "ldap",
	all other packets to other ports are DDoS attacks

	one way to determine legit web users from web ddos attacks
	is to look into apache's error logs for bad URLs

	one way to determine legit mail users from mail ddos attacks
	is to look into sendmail's error logs for bad things

	all servers require ssh, ntp/udp, dns/udp and should
	be locked to particular IP# only ... all other
	connection attempts are ddos attacks
#
# after you are done comparing all the various DDoS mitigation
# products and solutions, your conclusion might look like:
#

  a) what's my ddos mitigation budget for the level of ddos attacks
     i'm already getting

  b) icmp and udp attacks can only be mitigated at the ISP
	- you'd need to find a pro-active ddos mitigating ISP

  c) arp attacks can usually be mitigated by properly configured
     servers and network infrastructure

  d) tcp-based attacks are trivial to mitigate
	- i prefer to mitigate with tarpits to counter the
	zombie's attacks, requiring their zombie servers to have
	huge amts of kernel memory to sustain any tcp-based attacks

  e) volumetric attacks are a nuisance and expensive to resolve and
     everybody fails volumetric attacks after x,xxxGbit/sec attacks

  f) if you have governmental regulatory compliance issues,
     you're options are limited to using inhouse distributed colo
     or finding certified ddos scrubbers with proper certifications

> Another question, have anybody from the reviewers tested the false
> positives of the box, or experienced any false positive incidents?

any "false positives" for ddos attacks are a bad thing ... especially
if you're not gonna deliver it to the end user b/c the ddos box says
"these are bad packets"

pixie dust
alvin
# DDoS-Mitigator.net/Competitors
# DDoS-Mitigator.net/Mitigation
# DDoS-Simulator.net/Malicious-DDoS
# DDoS-Simulator.net/DDoS-Simulation-Plan
#