RES: Exploits start against flaw that could hamstring huge swaths

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 17:18:11 UTC 2015

On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 12:51 PM, Baldur Norddahl
<baldur.norddahl at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4 August 2015 at 18:48, Joe Greco <jgreco at ns.sol.net> wrote:
>
>> However, the original point was that switching from BIND to Unbound
>> or other options is silly, because you're just trading one codebase
>> for another, and they all have bugs.
>

> It is equally silly to assume that all codebase are the same quality and
> have equally many bugs. Maybe we should be looking at the track record of
> those two products and maybe we should let someone do a code review. And
> then choose based on that.

because:
  1) historical results matter here? (who looked at which products
over what period of time, with what attention to detail(s) and which
sets of goals?)
  2) the single person doing a code review is likely to see all of the
problems in each of the products selected?

nothing against any of the software in question here, but really this
is all quite a crapshoot and past transgression research doesn't make
for a great tool to plan for the future.

Joe's right: "all software has bugs, find the software and strategy
that makes sense for your organization"  that MIGHT mean 2 platforms
(seems sensible to me!) and it might mean automation for management of
configs (from an abstraction so you can generate the right data to
each target implementation) or it might mean more monkeys on keyboards
if you don't believe in automation.

-chris