RES: Exploits start against flaw that could hamstring huge swaths

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Tue Aug 4 16:48:10 UTC 2015

> With the (large) caveat that heterogenous networks are more subject to
> human error in many cases.

Indeed.  Everything comes with tradeoffs.  More intimate familiarity
with the product and a uniformity of deployment strategy has made it
more practical here to stick with BIND; an update is a simple matter
of a tarball and running a script that manages the dirty work.

However, the original point was that switching from BIND to Unbound
or other options is silly, because you're just trading one codebase
for another, and they all have bugs.  However, collectively, two
different products cooperatively providing a service are likely to
have a higher uptime in a well-designed environment.

... JG