Quakecon: Network Operations Center tour

mikea mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Mon Aug 3 21:03:27 UTC 2015

On Mon, Aug 03, 2015 at 01:52:17PM -0700, alvin nanog wrote:

> hi ethan
>
> On 08/03/15 at 10:58am, Ethan wrote:
> >
> > Getting bandwidth into the events is a pain. Huge venues are meant for large
> > corporate events not lower budget cons and festivals. Venue pricing I
> > believe is 750-1500$ per megabit. 100 megabit = $75,000 for the weekend. One
> > year I rememeber there being a switch with 8 vlans on it sitting outside the
> > back door with 8 clear modems spread out all blinking away.
>
> for connectivity, does the hotels and convention centers still have wifi jammers
> so you cannot use your own 56Mbit wifi to get connection to the outside world ?
> if possible, stick a bunch of dark mirrored-glass covered vans outside the event
> for wifi access

In the US, the FCC has ruled that wifi jammers violate one or more parts of
the FCC Rules and Regs. Marriott hotels paid a USD600K fine. A quick Google
search on "FCC hotel jammer" pulls up a great many hits, of which these are
the first seven:

Jammer Enforcement | FCC.gov
https://www.fcc.gov/.../jamme...
U.S. Federal Communications Commission
Federal law prohibits the operation, marketing, or sale of any type of jamming equipment, including devices that interfere with cellular and Personal ...

Marriott to Pay $600K to Resolve WiFi-Blocking ... - FCC
https://www.fcc.gov/.../marrio...
U.S. Federal Communications Commission
Oct 3, 2014 - Hotel Operator Admits Employees Improperly Used Wi-Fi Monitoring ... The complainant alleged that the Gaylord Opryland was “jamming ...

WARNING: Wi-Fi Blocking is Prohibited | FCC.gov
https://www.fcc.gov/.../warnin...
U.S. Federal Communications Commission
Jan 27, 2015 - which hotels and other commercial establishments block wireless ... into this kind of unlawful activity by the operator of a resort hotel and ...

FCC warns hotels against blocking guests' wi-fi
www.consumeraffairs.com/.../fcc-warns-hotels-against-blocking-guests-...
Jan 28, 2015 - Hotels, miffed by guests who used their own wi-fi hotspots instead of paying ... It's illegal to jam legal radio transmissions of any kind, FCC vows tough enforcement ... Some had argued that jamming wi-fi and cellphone calls is ...

Hotels ask FCC for permission to block guests' personal Wi ...
www.pcworld.com/.../hotel-group-asks-fcc-for-permission-to-...
PC World
Dec 22, 2014 - Marriott argued some hotspot blocking may be justified, as long as the hotel isn't using illegal signal jammers. Unlicensed Wi-Fi hotspots ...

FCC fines Marriott $600,000 for blocking guests' Wi-Fi ...
www.cnn.com/2014/10/03/travel/marriott-fcc-wi-fi-fine/
CNN
Oct 4, 2014 - It's the first time the FCC has investigated a hotel property for ... sense, where someone uses a jammer device to block wireless signals. Instead ...

How This Hotel Made Sure Your Wi-Fi Hotspot Sucked ...
readwrite.com/2014/.../marriott-nashville-opryland-jams-wifi-internet-wt...
Oct 4, 2014 - Caught by FCC for Wi-Fi jamming, Marriott's still not sorry.

--
Mike Andrews, W5EGO
mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Tired old sysadmin