Quakecon: Network Operations Center tour

Roland Dobbins rdobbins at arbor.net
Sun Aug 2 17:03:08 UTC 2015

On 2 Aug 2015, at 23:49, Mike Hammett wrote:

> If the core of the mission is local LAN play and your Internet
> connection fills up

You're assuming the DDoS attack originates from outside the local
network(s).  I was curious as to whether they'd seen any *internal* DDoS
attacks.

And again, external bandwidth doesn't matter for externally-sourced DDoS
attacks.  If the attacker wishes to do so, he'll completely overwhelm
your transit bandwidth.

> .... who gives a shit? The games play on.

No, they don't, if they require a connection across the Internet to game
servers for matchmaking/auth purposes, etc.