Quakecon: Network Operations Center tour

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Sun Aug 2 16:43:41 UTC 2015

On Sun, 2 Aug 2015, Dave Pooser wrote:

> I wonder if that would be a reason for the relatively anemic 1Gb
> Internet pipe-- making sure that a DDoS couldn't push enough packets
> through to inconvenience the LAN party.

I was involved in delivering 1GigE to Dreamhack in 2001 which at the time
(if I remember correctly), 4500 computers that participants brought with
them.

Usually these events nowadays tend to use 5-20 gigabit/s for that amount
of people, so 2x1GE is just not enough. Already in 2001 that GigE was
fully loaded after 1-2 days.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se