Working with Spamhaus

Randy randy_94108 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 1 04:53:34 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----

From: Jaren Angerbauer <jarenangerbauer at gmail.com>
To: "nanog at nanog.org" <nanog at nanog.org>
Sent: Friday, July 31, 2015 2:28 PM
Subject: Re: Working with Spamhaus

Hi,

As for SORBS, I'm not aware of anyone that uses it these days because of
> the extortion thing and the rather ..ahem .. "eccentric" nature of it's
> owner.

and

> I see you've never had the pleasure of dealing with SORBS. All it takes is
> *ONE* message - EVER - to be instantly, and forever, listed in their
> spamtraps list. Getting on the list is automatic and immediate. There are
> no thresholds or limits; and there's expiration. The only way off that
> list is to PAY them to remove you. (which makes it illegal in most places.
> The corporate sharks flipped when I pointed them to that "policy".)

I work for Proofpoint -- we acquired SORBS back in 2011.  There is
obviously some incorrect / very outdated information / viewpoints here, so
I thought it would make sense to clear the air a bit:

Listings can happen a number of different ways, however the vast majority
of these can be resolved, either through automatic delisting, or manual
delisting (via SORBS support ticket).  Additionally, there is NO CHARGE to
be delisted.

I'm happy to help mitigate any issues -- feel free to hit me up off list --
jangerbauer at proofpoint.com

Thanks

--Jaren

There is a very good reason as to why the .."
some incorrect / very outdated information / viewpoints here..<snip>

Matt/Michelle Sullivan did a lot of good things but a lot more *bad* in the name of SORBS - ergo the SORBS-Anathema.
...I have; just like many others on this list, have had to deal with this entity that had in essence turned into a joke.
./Randy

./Randy