IPTV providers in IN/Chicago

Brandon Martin lists.nanog at monmotha.net
Tue Apr 28 21:34:57 UTC 2015

On 04/28/2015 06:52 AM, Rob Seastrom wrote:
> You'd be surprised how many edge devices (unfortunately) support IPv6
> multicast only to the degree necessary to implement neighbor
> discovery.  Lean on your vendor.

Yep, I know routers will do it in the latest software, which I cannot
quite run (needs a modest hardware upgrade), but I'm still playing
around with the edge devices which is why I say "I think".

> And for the love of God, do SSM not ASM (requires igmpv3 or mld2).  I
> can expound on the problem space off-list if you like.

My routers will do SSM on IPv4 and IPv6, and they will also do SSM
mapping, but I do need to check on the access pieces which prefer to be
the customer's L3 termination (they CAN hand off L2 to another router,
but my preferred routers are not designed for bulk BRAS use).  The
access gear is somewhat in the "price point" realm and, while
surprisingly capable, is not particularly well documented.  This was
definitely on my checklist before committing to any multicast solution,
especially IPv6-based, but I would like to hear your thoughts if you
don't mind (via unicast or multicast as you deem appropriate).  I've not
done a ton of IPv4 multicast and basically no IPv6 multicast in the
past.  Many vendors are unfortunately just starting to catch up with
mainstream IPv6 support in many cases...only took a decade (a frequent
lament on here, I know), and multicast is still lagging in that
department in many cases.

--
Brandon Martin