symmetric vs. asymmetric [was: Verizon Policy Statement on Net Neutrality]

Ray Soucy rps at maine.edu
Thu Apr 23 14:06:42 UTC 2015

It's amazing, really.

Netflix and YouTube now overtake BitTorrent and all other file sharing
peer-to-peer traffic combined, even on academic networks, by order(s) of
magnitude.  The amount of peer-to-peer traffic is not even significant in
comparison.  It might as well be IRC from our perspective.

Internet usage habits have shifted quite a bit in the past decade.  I think
the takeaway is that if you provide content in a way that is fairly priced
and convenient to access (e.g. DRM doesn't get in your way), most people
will opt for the legal route.  Something we were trying to explain to the
MPAA and RIAA years ago when they shoved the DMCA down our throats.

I'm certainly in favor of symmetrical service.  I think there is a widely
held myth that DOS attacks will take down the Internet when everyone has
more bandwidth.  The fact is that DOS attacks are a problem regardless of
bandwidth, and throttling people isn't a solution.  The other (somewhat
insulting) argument that people will use greater upload speeds for illegal
activity is pretty bogus as well.

The limit on upload bandwidth for most people is a roadblock to a lot of
the services that people will take for granted a decade from now; cloud
backup, residential video surveillance over IP, peer-to-peer high
definition video conferencing.  And likely a lot of things that we haven't
imagined yet.

As funny as it sounds, I think Twitch (streaming video games) has been the
application that has made the younger generation care about their upload
speed more than anything else.  They now have a use case where their
limited upload is a real problem for them, and when they find out their ISP
can't provide anything good enough they get pretty upset about it.

--
Ray Patrick Soucy
Network Engineer

T: 207-561-3526
F: 207-561-3531

MaineREN, Maine's Research and Education Network
www.maineren.net